Acute urticaria

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
jagott74

by jagott74 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Acute urticaria

Hi have been diagnosed with acute spontaneous urticaria

Is this a way of saying they can’t determine the cause of my allergies? Admittedly it’s different every time

I take 4 fexofenadine a day with little improvement and it’s starting to get me diwn

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Re: Acute urticaria

Hi Jagott

Spontaneous urticaria can be very debilitating.
Sadly they aren't fobbing you off - the cause of the urticaria is normally endogenous rather than exogenous i.e you aren't reacting to a stimuli from the outside world, it is more of an internal process, reacting to self. Sometimes it is trigger by viral infections, sometimes by hormones or stress, and sometimes from autoimmune conditions.

That does of fexofenadine sounds sensible, your doctors can escalate further but it should be an allergist managing it at this point rather than a GP, as you could do with some baseline bloods and then inclusion of other drugs and consideration for further management if you meet the criteria.

It can be helpful to monitor things, and there is an app available call SymTrac which my patients find useful

BW
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Re: Acute urticaria

Do you meant frequent short eposodes of urticaria many weeks apart or daily bouts of hives?
Chronic spontanous urticaria (CSU) can be debilitating but it can be treated/controlled. However not all patients respond to high doses of anithistamines. 30 % of patients with CSU require other types of tablets or injections. CSU is almost never due to allergy and there is usually no need for any lifestyle modifications. You need to be referred to an allergy or urticaria clinic
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

3 posts