Multiple Allergies

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Fluffysmummy

by Fluffysmummy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Multiple Allergies

Hi there,
I'm a 38 year old woman with multiple allergies. They vary in severity from merely annoying, to life threatening. They also come in a range of areas.
My most severe, are penicillin, & wasp stings/nettle stings/ant bites. However, others include metals, animal hair, latex, cows' milk, & some very common skincare ingredients.
My main question is this... Is there anything that can be suggested, to reduce my susceptibility to these allergens,
Thanks in advance.
Stella

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: Multiple Allergies

Drug, venom, latex and food allergy should be investigated by an allergist; reactions to metal and skincare products can be managed by a dermatologist. Depending on your reactions one could recommend regular preventative treatment for example with antihistamines - but it all depends on what you are exactly allergy to and what type of reaction you experience.
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

Fluffysmummy

by Fluffysmummy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Re: Multiple Allergies

Thanks for the response,
I have seen a Dr regarding the most severe of them. Penicillin consumptions have resulted in hospitalisations, as have wasp stings.
The allergy to milk became fully apparent about 8yrs ago. It presents with a skin reaction, headache, & problems with my stomach, these all tend to last a few days.
Metal wise, I usually just get a skin reaction. In new piercings, it will cause infection. I just avoid metals that I react badly to.
In general, I try to avoid all things I react adversely to. I have cut foods, medicines, metals etc out of my life as much as is possible, always carry antihistamines with me, & am just very careful. Most of my reactions to these things, are more irritating than dangerous, & I take extra care to avoid the allergens which provoke serious reactions.

3 posts