Pet Allergies at work

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
LorraineC

by LorraineC on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Pet Allergies at work

I visit families in their homes for work, and a lot of them have pets. I had allergy testing years & years ago & am strongly allergic to most typical household pets. Even when families remove the pets from the room I can still react to their shed skin & previous presence. I have running nose & eyes, and skin rashes.

I'd rather not take antihistamines simply as a precautionary measure (I was on astemizole for years, I'm reluctant to go back onto anything like that), what are my options?

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Re: Pet Allergies at work

if you are a vet or a lab technician you could be desensitised to animal allergens on the NHS; if you are not then you might need to consider private desensitisation ('anti-allergy injections') but only once it is clear what animals you are allergic to and only if you cannot really avoid them. Long term use of modern antihistamines is safe (cetirizine, loratadine, fexofenadine etc) in addition to steroid nasal sprays
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

2 posts