Wasp and mozzies etc

If you have questions about allergies to drugs or venom (for example bees and wasps) then post your question to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Markyisone

by Markyisone on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Wasp and mozzies etc

Hi, why is it that when I'm stung or bitten, I have huge amount of swelling and soreness. From March to October I take an allergy/anti histamine tablet, but still suffer. Most creams do little to help. :( I'm beginning to hate/fear my old favourite time of the year.

LorraineC

by LorraineC on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Wasp and mozzies etc

I can't help, but have noticed that people seem to be reacting more and more to mosquito bites than I remember from my younger days. I wonder if there is a reason for this?

Jennywren

by Jennywren on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello fellow sufferer,
I have noticed over the past few years that every time I am bitten by a mozzie that I have the same reaction and tend to feel unwell for a couple of days. I take cetirizine and use creams to help the reaction but to little effect. I like you am dreading the summer days and being bitten. They seem to find any part of my skin exposed when I am outside even though arms and legs are covered. I am sure that the mozzies are getting more ferocious or I just have lovely sweet blood they like. I don't know the remedy but I agree a lot more people seem to react now than ever before. I am sure there must be a study going on somewhere as to why.

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:54 pm

local reaction to bites/stings can be very bit, red, itchy, swollen and persist for a few days. As long as there are no difficulties breathing or dizzines they are not dengerous. Sometimes using 2 cetirizine/loratadine tablets for a few days in addition to hydrocortisone cream might help; some patients require a few days of oral steroids. Please discuss with your GP or ask for a referral to an allergist
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

4 posts