Neck and Shoulder Pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Ali99

by Ali99 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

Neck and Shoulder Pain

I have been suffering with really bad neck and shoulder pain for over 4 weeks. After trying numerous products to try and alleviate the pain and discomfort including heat pads, over the counter pain killers, ibruprofen gel etc I went to my GP. I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and given the option of either Naproxen (which I was told could cause acid / stomach discomfort) or Codeine (which I was told could cause drowsiness). Whilst the thought of Codeine and a good nights sleep was appealing (I have been getting by on around 3-4 hours sleep at night due to the pain), I didn't want to feel drowsy during the day as I work and I didn't want it to effect my job. The Naproxen has definitely helped with the pain, however I now have a knot in my upper stomach (below the breast bone) which is causing me much discomfort, especially when I am sat down. Even though I have been taking the Naproxen with food as advised, I am guessing that this is the acid side effect of the drug. I don't know whether to discontinue with the Naproxen or carry on and see if the discomfort I have in my stomach improves over time.

Would you perhaps suggest an alternative means of pain relief?

My GP didn't suggest any form of therapy and to be honest, I wouldn't know if I needed to see a Physio, a Chiropractor or an Osteopath for my condition.

I am also unsure whether to exercise. As a keen gym goer (I generally partake in 3-4 high intensity classes a week but I haven't been since my neck and shoulder pain), this has had a knock on effect to my well being. I do find the gym a release and a stress buster but I don't want to cause any further harm.

I would appreciate and help / feedback.

Many thanks

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Neck and Shoulder Pain

Hi, as you appear to be experiencing side effects from the Naproxen I suggest that you go back to your GP to discuss this. They may change the dose or consider alternatives. As everyone tolerates drugs differently it may take a few reviews with your GP to get your medication right for you. I would also ask your GP for a referral to a physio. Your physio would then be able to advise on specific exercises/stretches. Your physio would be able to offer further advice about going to the gym but I don't think you should stop. You mention how important it is for your well-being and the last thing you need at the moment is to find your mental health deteriorating because you haven't got your usual stress release. Listen to your body and do what you can at the moment that doesn't cause you additional pain/discomfort. Until you can see a physio then I suggest that you find gentler alternatives to your usual classes/exercises. Good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Re: Neck and Shoulder Pain

Hello
I would agree. Approach your GP to ask about the medication and also to ask for a referral to your physiotherapist. Your physiotherapist will be able to analyse your posture and biomechanics, and will be able to advise on self-maintenance and pain-relief methods, including suitable exercises and ergonomic adjustments.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts