Possible Treatments

Post your Psoriatic Arthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Possible Treatments

Wake up with stiff fingers during night and first thing in the morning, knee stiffness also has me walking like the 'tin man!' As its psoriatic arthritis, GP referred me to Dermatologist, Dermatologist thinks GP should refer me to rheumatologist. Saw one years ago, then ended up somehow over time, just under GP/Dermatologist. Sulphasarazine worked initially but caused duodenal ulcer. Methotrexate replaced it and worked long-term till penicillin for a bad sinus infection caused it to react with methotrexate and white blood cell count plummeted. Outcome - no more methotrexate.

Was put on monthly biological injections - Cosentyx ( secukinumab) but 6 months of recurring colds/infections within a week of each injection, needing antibiotics to shift them + sudden rapid weight gain meant that we all agreed to stop the treatment. Now back to just cocodamol taken as needed...but it doesn't help on bad days. GP has now suggested tramadol at night if pain really bad, but I'm concerned as they are known to be very strong and I cannot afford to be drowsy in my work. I'm a busy teacher, running around after thirty 4/5 year olds all day. Any suggestions of other treatments that may help, that may be easy to be prescribed...should I ask for steroid injections in the knees? Any useful replies gratefully received. Thank you.
Hazel
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am

Re: Possible Treatments

Sounds like you need to see your Rheumatologist again.

If you are having active disease there are still various options for you to try
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

2 posts