How do I deal with people staring at my daughter?

Post your vitiligo related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

How do I deal with people staring at my daughter?

My daughter has Vitiligo and whilst she is happy and content, I find it difficult when people stare at her or make assumptions as to what her condition is. What is the best way to handle this?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

professor andrew r thompson

by professor andrew r thompson on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: How do I deal with people staring at my daughter?

Naturally none of us welcome intrusive comments or stares from other people and it is only natural to be concerned for your daughter. It is so important that we all challenge the stigma and myths that can be associated with skin conditions. Children generally cope well, and it is important to show your daughter that the condition does not bother you. That said it is of course also important to keep an eye out for bullying and to be proactive with meeting with the school if this is an issue. Advice and support for children and parents (and for schools) is available from the charity Changing Faces. They have downloadable resources. There are also some useful self-help resources on the British Association of Dermatologist's www.skinsupport.org.uk website. You'll find information on these sites about how to support your daughter in dealing with others reactions if this does become a problem. Talking to other parents can also be useful and this can be done by joining a relevant society like the vitiligo society (they also have self-help resources and other advice), or even following people with the condition on social media, who often share tips and can act as positive role models. There are quite a few people actively tweeting.
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

2 posts