14 year old

If you have questions about children and teenager's bladder issues please post them here for the experts.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 am

14 year old

On behalf of Sam:
My daughter who is 14 finds that when she laughs or sometimes does physical activity she leaks. She is obviously really embarrassed about this – and it took quite a lot for her to even tell me. I know that she doesn’t want to go and discuss in particularly with a doctor – what would you suggest?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: 14 year old

Hi Sam

It must be distressing for her and it's a good step that she's taken to tell you about it. It is not uncommon for some teenagers to leak a small amount of urine during laughing or physical activity. Sometimes it's due to children 'holding it in' for long periods of time during the day (if they don't want to use the toilets at school for example), and this can then lead to small leaks when they get distracted. Making sure she goes to the toilet regularly throughout the day may help train her bladder. It is also important to make sure she's not getting constipated, as constipation can also lead to similar issues. Make sure she has lots of water, and try to cut out sweet/fizzy drinks.

There are other things that can help if the simple measures above don't change things, so it's worth seeing your GP if things don't improve.

Good luck!
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

Re: 14 year old

Hi Sam
It's really good that your daughters plucked up the courage to tell you, it is obviously something a teenager would find troublesome. Now you're in a great position to give her some advice that could really help her.
Mr Malde outlines the main points really clearly so if you start with them you may find its all that's needed. I guess I just wanted to add that if she leaks when she exercises remind her to always empty her bladder before exercise. This is a common issue easily remedied by going for a wee prior to starting physical activity.
All the best
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

3 posts