Hope for a cure!!

If you have questions about curinary incontinence (urge and stress) please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Loughnane

by Loughnane on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Hope for a cure!!

Hi everyone

I am 53 years old and I have been disgnosed with stress and urge incontinence for about 10 years now. I also only have 50% capacity bladder. I have had physio, tens machine treatment, been doing the exercises, taking tablets (Betmiga, mirabegron 50mg). I now only drink decaf tea and coffee, which does help actually! I have even had Mastoplasty surgery, which, by the way, lasted a whole ONE day!! :o

I have found that the physio and exercises do help, but it is a continious battle with remembering to do them and when you have other illnesses like I do, it can be too stressful. With the tablets they have greatly reduced the urge incontinence. The stress side though not so fortunate and if I cough, laugh, wait too long, etc., I am in loads of trouble as I had to have a total hystorectomy 18 years ago and I have no support for the bladder. :(

So, I have just been to see my consultant and he says I now qualify for a new treatment and this has been highly successful and I will be able to come off the tablets with it too. It is a day surgery and you are awake with just a local anesthetic. :shock: The surgery is a series of 3 to 4 injections of Bulkamid hydrogel into the wall of the urethra to support the closing mechanism. The pamphlet quotes; not absorbed by the surrounding tissue; stays where it is injected; does not cause allergic reactions; does not cause tissue hardening; maintains elasticity and structure; does not leave any micropartices in the tissue.

So this is a minimally invasive procedure with one common side effect of transient pain and bleeding after your first void and a rare side effect of inflammation of the bladder, which is easily treatable with antibiotics. You can go home shortly after you have been to the loo and carry on normal activities. The procedure is for stress incontinence.

I am now on the waiting list of approx 16 to 20 weeks and hopefully not much longer, as we all know these waiting lists are usually what they tell you :lol:

I will update you all when I have a date and when the surgery is completed. I will be so happy if it works as the cost of bladder pads is so expensive. More importantly than that, the depression and lack of a social life, worrying about flooding (not just leaks with me :oops: ) , should all become a thing of the past, I hope :)

Thanks for reading my story.

:D :D :D :D :D

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Hope for a cure!!

Hi

Thank you for sharing your story. As you say, urinary incontinence can be debilitating and so I hope that your treatment works for you. There are many treatment options available for both stress and urge incontinence and so you shouldn' give up! Although no treatment options are perfect, they can significantly improve your overall quality of life, so I wish you well!

Good luck!
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Hope for a cure!!

Hope is really important, and it sounds like you have that which is great. You mention your depression and lack of a social life which sounds really difficult. Sharing your story on here has been very courageous of you and you might want to also consider sharing it with someone you trust like a friend, family member, or a therapist, to try and help with your depression and to see if, with support, you can build up a social life. Thank you for posting and good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

3 posts