urge incontinence and constipation

If you have questions about curinary incontinence (urge and stress) please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
angelajeanne

by angelajeanne on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 pm

urge incontinence and constipation

I find that the urge incontinence is worse when I am constipated. I find my bladder voids without warning but I also have to strain at times to pee when I haven't had an accident. Is this normal?

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Re: urge incontinence and constipation

There is a connection between bladder and bowel function, and the problem you describe is very common. It is important to have a balanced diet, high in fiber, with good fluid intake to try to improve your constipation. If your bladder symptoms are still troublesome then this can be managed with fluid modification (reducing the amount of caffeine and fizzy drinks in your diet) and oral medications if required. The important thing is to treat both aspects simultaneously.
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 am

Re: urge incontinence and constipation

Hi Angela. Mr Malde offers some good advice, treating your constipaion should naturally relieve your urge and subsequent accidents. Have you considered adding natural laxatives to your diet, commons ones are dried prunes and apricots but also golden linseed (flaxseed) is something that can be added to your breakfast each day that really helps. The same with Chia seeds. Drinking 2L per day is important, more my make you feel bloated.If you don't already add in some daily exercise, this can really help mobilise your gut and If you can get your bowels under control this should make your urge better, if it doesn't ask the advice of your GP as you may need some simple tests to check things out. Good luck!
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

3 posts