Overactive bladder in children

Ask our experts any questions you may have about overactive bladder syndrome here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Clarabella

by Clarabella on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Overactive bladder in children

Hello,

My little girl is 5 and has been diagnosed with an overactive bladder which they hope she will grow out of. She drinks a litre of water and day and eats a high fibre diet. However we are struggling to manage the more practical side of things especially at school and get no support from the urologist or school nurse team. The main problem we have is she can be wet up to 11 times a day and changing clothes and washing clothes is taking over our lives and makes going out places very hard and it is taking it's toll on family life. We tried insert pads which helped at home but not at school so then we tried absorbant pants but she says she doesn't know when she needs the toilet when wearing them and would just flood them. We just don't know what to do for the best or where to turn for help.

Thank you for listening and any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Clair

Apache21

by Apache21 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 am

Re: Overactive bladder in children

The school has a duty of care to your daughter. With a formal diagnosis they should be in a better position to secure additional resources to assist your daughter change her clothes, and anything else required....administration of medication, supervision of catheterisation. Insist on a meeting between headteacher, class teacher, school nurse and local continence nurse to agree a way forward. She should have an indiviudal education plan in place.

Clarabella

by Clarabella on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Apache21 wrote:The school has a duty of care to your daughter. With a formal diagnosis they should be in a better position to secure additional resources to assist your daughter change her clothes, and anything else required....administration of medication, supervision of catheterisation. Insist on a meeting between headteacher, class teacher, school nurse and local continence nurse to agree a way forward. She should have an indiviudal education plan in place.
It would be great ifor we could do this but the school doesn't have a school nurse it is a team based with the health visitors in a health centre and they say they can't support with this issue. We can't access the continence nurse until she is 7 so my plan is to wsit until next year and try to meet with her new teacher, the SENCO and new head teacher. I just don't really know myself the best way to manage it. Part of me just wants her to be back in nappies so she doesn't come home from school wet, smelly and sore anymore but I also know that is probably not the best way to manage it... just need some practical advice but in our area we can't get that until she is 7 and 2 years seems a long time to struggle on for...

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Clarabella
Does your daughter know she needs the toilet, gets a sudden urge then wets because she can't hold on or does she not know she's wetting when it happens?
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Also how much does she weigh?
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi this all sounds really difficult for you and your daughter. Have you discussed with your GP the best way to manage this at school? Coming home wet, smelly and sore sounds really distressing for your daughter, and I am sure it is horrible for you to see her experiencing that. It's important that your daughter can feel relaxed and safe at school and not feel self-conscious or uncomfortable. I suggest talking to your GP and the headteacher about the best way to manage this so that her education and well-being don't suffer. Good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

6 posts