Blocked Catheters

If you have questions about catheters please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

8 posts
JaneHarris

by JaneHarris on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Blocked Catheters

I had a RTA in 1966 and have been treated in General Hospitals. I have had an Indwelling catheter since approx 1979. Over the past year it has repeatedly blocked for no reason sometimes 2 or 3 times in a week. I have been in hospital and there are no obvious reasons for it blocking ( no stones etc.). I have been advised my only option is a supra-pubic catheter. Is this correct or have you any more answers to this problem?

Jane Harris

4wheeldave

by 4wheeldave on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Blocked Catheters

Take the offer of a suprapubic its better than what you have. I don't regret it at all.

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

HI JaneHarris

Catheter blockages are very common and can be quite difficult to manage. I'm sure you're doing the simple things already, but just in case - try to keep well hydrated and drink around 2L of fluid per day to prevent the build up of mucous that may block the catheter. Have your catheter changed regularly (every 6 weeks). Has anyone ever shown you how to do bladder washouts yourself to try to reduce the build up of mucous?

As 4wheeldave says, suprapubic catheters are a very good form of long-term catheterisation and have many advantages. There is still a chance that this type of catheter could get blocked though, so you should make sure you've exhausted all possible ways to reduce blockages before going down this route.

Hope this helps!
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

JaneHarris

by JaneHarris on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I will get in touch with my doctor and try bladder washouts. I do drink as much as possible. I change my catheter from anytime from 2 days to a fortnight as it blocks. I have been unable to last any longer but hope washouts will improve things.
JaneHarris

Julie Jenks

by Julie Jenks on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Janeharris

Great advice thusfar. Just wanted to check, as this is a new thing for you and you've been managing so long without incident; there's nothing obvious like an increase in milk/dairy products in your diet that may increase your mucus and account for more blockages?
Obvious I know but perhaps not thought of if you were unaware about dietary factors that increase mucus.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.....

All the best
Julie.
Julie Jenks
Advanced Nurse Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _jenks.php

JaneHarris

by JaneHarris on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Julie

Many thanks for your reply. It was not obvious to me that diet had anything to do with mucus and blocked catheters. I have my SI since 1966 and have never been told this so in future I will watch my dairy intake.

Thanks again
Jane

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Jane
if you have had a catheter for over 35 years and things have changed re blockages i would see if they will do a cystoscopy just to check there isn't a reason for it
Stones would be seen on ultrasound but not everything can.
If normal then Suby G washouts can reduce the bladder debris

Ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

JaneHarris

by JaneHarris on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Ben
Yes, I have had a cystoscope but I will see my doctor about a bladder washout.
Many thanks
Jane

8 posts