TOTP

If you have any bladder questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
elainecookie

by elainecookie on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:33 am

TOTP

Hi there
In 2012 I had a TOTP to help with my bladder problem. Since then when I urinate, I feel like I haven't fully emptied my bladder, so if I wait a further 5 minutes I am able to urinate again (normally the same amount as the first attempt). I just wondered if this was a common side effect from the TOTP?

Also the TOTP hasn't really been of any benefit, and I wondered if this was usual

Thanks Elaine

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: TOTP

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your message. The TOT is a good surgical treatment for stress urinary incontinence but in a small proportion of people it can make it harder for you to empty your bladder, exactly as you describe. This may be one of the reasons why you feel things haven't really improved much.

There is a solution to helping your symptoms and so you should see a Urologist to discuss the options with you. If you are leaving large amounts of urine in your bladder then performing self-catheterisation may improve things significantly.

Hope this helps!
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

2 posts