Complete retention of a 4yr old boy

If you have any bladder questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Mumofthreeboys

by Mumofthreeboys on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Complete retention of a 4yr old boy

My son has been in severe urinary retention since July 2015. He has been catheterised since Aug 2015 with a SPC, replaced with a mini button and since last July Intermittent catherising. When the SPC was put in he was treated with steroids for severe inflammation of the urethea. When I think back he's wees were further apart then he'd do a massive wee but I thought he was getting ready to potty train.
He has other conditions, Lymphangioma, scoliosis, speech disorder, mobility issues, low muscle tone and tiredness. A neurologist has reviewed an MRI of his spine which dated back to the start of his retention problems.
I cannot accept that there is no reason for his retention. He knows when his bladder is full but cannot wee. The only wee's I believe are due to bladder spasms as they've always consider with infections, no see for months now.
When I was pregnant there was mild hydrops identified but the focus was on the lump in his abdomen.
Should they do a head and full spine MRI? Can I get someone else to relook at the MRI from 2yrs ago. I'm feeling very lost and sad that at 4yrs old he has a life of catheterising ahead of him :(

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Re: Complete retention of a 4yr old boy

Hi

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've been having with your son's diagnosis and it must be very distressing for both of you. Has he ever seen a Urologist for this issue? Has he had scans of his kidneys and bladder? Does he have any problems with his bowels?
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

2 posts