My son has eczema when ill

If you are a carer of a child with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 pm

My son has eczema when ill

Submitted by K Smith - Hampshire

Recently whenever my son has a cold or some other illness he has started to get patches of what I think is eczema on his legs. I have sought advice from the pharmacist who agreed and recommended E45 but it doesn't seem to help. He will scratch the patches that are red and they last well beyond, for example, the cold he has had will.

I would appreciate some advice.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

andferdav

by andferdav on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: My son has eczema when ill

I've had eczema all my life, when I get hot it gets worse, especially behind my knees, the inside of my elbows and around my ears. So if I am ill and have a temperature, my eczema tends to get worse.

In my opinion, and experience, if you have E45 with no hydrocortisone in it, it won't be much help. Take him to the GP, or get a mild hydrocortisone from the chemist.

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 pm

Skin can flare up when your child is suffering with a cold and when he is very stressed (e.g. during exams etc)
If it is infrequent use a moisturiser and an over the counter steroid cream hydrocortisone for a few days

If his eczema becomes more severe and/or frequent please talk to your GP.

Other skin conditions such as psoriasis and urticaria (hives) can also be made worse by infection and stress.
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:17 am

Thank you. I am sorry to hear about your son trouble. I agree that many rashes including dermatitis (eczema) can flare up during colds and other illnesses.

It is important to moisturise regularly and frequently (ointment moisturisers [e.g. hydromol , epaderm, cetraben ointments] are more effective, if tolerated, than creams, gels or lotions (which can also be used but need to be used more frequently than ointments e.g. aveeno, cetraben, e45, diprobase, doublebase). It is also important to avoid any soaps or shower gels as they dry skin make eczema or psoriasis worse. Use instead moisturisers to was with or moisturising soap substitutes e.g. oilatum wash, e45 wash, aveeno wash.

if this does not help a steroid cream or ointment of an appropriate strength for age and body parts (milder on face and skin fold areas, stronger on body, limbs, hands, feet and scalp) may be required and at this point it might be sensible to check the condition by GP or Consultant Dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
Cambridge Nuffield Health Hospital
Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital
Leicester Spire Hospital

www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

4 posts