Diet affecting gout?

Post your Gout and Pseudogout related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 am

Diet affecting gout?

On behalf of our guest visitor, Ben:
My GP is worried my diet is making my gout worse, I have an appointment with a dietician but in the meantime what should I be avoiding/eating more of?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Diet affecting gout?

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your post. Although some foods have a reputation for being higher in the purine chemicals that are connected to urate and gout, it's kidneys that need to do the work of clearing purines from the body. Kidneys work better if body weight is under good control - so the main dietry advice that's offered in the medical literature is to eat a balanced diet to keep weight down and to drink plenty of fluids.

Some people will need to discuss a prescription for urate lowering medication with their GP.

Here's a link to some information about Gout
https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... is/54-gout

I hope that's helpful

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
Tel 0808 800 4050 10 am - 4 pm weekdays

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Ben,

Thank you for posting. I am pleased to hear you have been referred to a dietitian. Although diet can impact on gout, weight loss if appropriate should be the key as it is effective in reducing serum urate level. However do not follow fad diets for quick weight loss - make sure it is gradual.

In terms of dietary modification, general guidance as per the clinical guideline (European League Against Rheumatism 2016. The UK guideline is due to be published this year):
- Avoid high purine foods such as organ meats e.g. liver, kidney, sweetbreads & beer.
- Meats such as beef, chicken or even seafood can be enjoyed but excessive indulgence is not recommended.
- The use of low fat dairy products is encouraged.
- As Guy from Arthritis Care said - avoid dehydration is also helpful.

Hope the above helps. Your dietitian will be able to tailor the advice for you.

More information can be accessed here:
https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/living/gout

Martin Lau RD
Arthritis Action || Registered Dietitian
http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/ info@arthritisaction.org.uk/ Tel: 0203 781 7120

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Hello Ben,

Alcohol is a more important risk factor and trigger for gout attacks than almost anything you eat, especially beer. Reducing your alcohol intake and keeping to a healthy weight are the two most important things you can do to help yourself if you have gout.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden

Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologst
www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org /

pchelper

by pchelper on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:21 am

All of the replies here provide very sensible advice indeed.

As a gout sufferer of many years I've learned that individuals also need to work out exactly which foods specifically trigger their own attacks so keeping a diary is very helpful.

I'm careful in what I eat and drink and have learned that the following items do it for me:
Tea
Coffee
Oranges
Tomatoes (5 day attack)
Strawberries (10 day attack and even Colchicine struggles with this one)

5 posts