Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young children?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Matt1979

by Matt1979 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young children?

I don't have any bowel problems myself, but I have read about rotavirus and how it can cause diarrhoea for a week or more in younger children. When my brother was 8 about 25 years ago he had a stomach bug that lasted over a week, it started with vomiting and a fever (he only vomited once), followed by diarrhoea a few hours later. I remember how my mum thought it was a 24-48 bug at first and my brother had these tablets called Enterosan (kaolin and morphine, long discontinued), but the tablets went through him the next time he went to the toilet. I am surprised the tablets didn't work at all.

After my brother went to the doctors soon after, no stool sample was taken and the doctor wasn't sure of the cause, but he gave my brother an antibiotic which I think was metronidazole. It was still a few days before the diarrhoea and stomach cramps stopped and I can still remember how my brother had 7 days off school.

What I also remember is how the diarrhoea had a distinctive smell, like a mixture of sweet/rotting and I have since read this can be the smell when someone has rotavirus. But if my brother did have this virus, I am surprised it lasted so long as I wasn't aware rotavirus lasted so long in older children.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Re: Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young childr

Hi Matt1979,

Thank you for posting your question regarding rotavirus. Hopefully another member will reply soon. Unfortunately we are unable to give out specific medical advice but please find a link to information about gastroenteritis in general including rotavirus here:

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/ ... enteritis/

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Matt1979

by Matt1979 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Re: Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young childr

Thanks for the link

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young children?

We do at times inherit illnesses from family members. Diabetes is very common. Just try antibiotics and speak to your doctor. Sometimes injections work better and other times, medicinal fluid it depends on health system. Speak to your doctor about it.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:30 pm

Re: Can older children have rotavirus as bad as young children?

Rotavirus is a typical reason for extreme gastroenteritis for infants and preschool kids. It can likewise cause diseases in more seasoned individuals. Disease is made by individual contact and contacting defiled hands or dung.

5 posts