50+ years of age and still getting spots

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

8 posts
TimHensby

by TimHensby on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:37 pm

50+ years of age and still getting spots

As a young male adult I had fairly bad acne which lasted until I was about 28. Now at the age of 52 I have started getting really painful spots. Initially each spot is just a small red mark but very soon becomes painful to touch. The spot gets bigger quite rapidly until a white head appears on top. They are almost impossible to burst even when fully formed and can take up to 4 weeks to disappear. Even after they have gone a tiny red mark is left which can take up to another 4 weeks to go. They are not in clusters but I tend to have about 5 at a time predominately on my back, chest or neck. I don't know if it is relevant or not but they also tend to come in a symmetrical pattern, so if I get one on my left lower back this will very soon be followed by one on my right lower back in almost the symmetrical position.

My skin is quite oily with a fair bit of hair on my chest but minimal on my back. My skin does seem to take a long time to heal from any trauma. If I get a bruise say from a blood test then the bruise can take up to 3 weeks to go. Am I maybe lacking in some vitamin or could this even be hormonal related?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: 50+ years of age and still getting spots

Dear Tim,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a question. Whilst acne is usually thought of as a teenage problem, it is not unusual for acne to persist into adulthood like some other chronic inflammatory skin conditions. Whilst acne in adults tends to be more common in females, it can also affect men as well.

It is unlikely that the spots that you describe are related to any vitamin deficiency. I also think that the symmetry is probably coincidental. Acne occurs partly due to a disorder of the oil producing or sebaceous glands. These are found in the highest density on the face, scalp, back and chest so these are the usual sites for acne to develop.

If you are getting deep red spots in the skin that are taking weeks to settle down then you may be suffering with inflammatory nodulocystic acne. This usually responds best to oral medication in the form of isotretinoin or Roaccutane. This will also reduce the oiliness or seborrhoea of your skin that you describe.

I do think, however, it is important to see your family doctor for an assessment of your skin. They will also be able to do some baseline blood tests to assess your suitability for oral medications should you require it. If your acne is of the deep, inflammatory type, then you will benefit from referral to a dermatologist who can advise you further once they have seen and examined you.

In the interim whilst you are awaiting to see your GP or dermatologist, a few lifestyle factors may be considered:
1. Use body washes containing salicylic acid, zinc or benzoyl peroxide
2. If you go to the gym or regularly exercise, then ensure you shower straight away rather than allow sweat to accumulate on the skin surface
3. Limit the consumption of refined sugars and dairy in your diet as there is some growing evidence these may have a role to play in acne development
4. If you develop a spot then use an over the counter targeted therapy aimed at reducing inflammation e.g. salicylic acid, tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, nicotinamide

I hope this helps but I think it is important you seek medical attention so a proper assessment can be made.

Good luck and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi,

The spots you're getting could well be linked to an increased sensitivity to the androgens (male hormones) in your body, resulting in excessive production of sebum (oil) in your skin. Excess sebum clogs the pores, which encourages bacterial growth and inflammation, resulting in spots.

With regard to the length of time your bruises take to heal - 2-4 weeks is usual, so 3 weeks could be considered 'normal'. Bruising after having blood taken is also perfectly normal. However, if you seem to bruise easily it could be a sign of vitamin deficiency. Being deficient in vitamins B12, folate (B9), vitamin C or vitamin K could cause excessive bruising. If you think you bruise too easily it would be worth seeing your GP, who could check for deficiencies.

Going back to the acne - it would be sensible to follow Dr Mahto's advice in asking for a referral to a dermatologist for a proper assessment of your condition and to follow her skin care and dietary advice in the meantime.

Just to add to Dr. Mahto's dietary advice - aim for a low GI (glycaemic index) diet, which means cutting back on refined carbohydrates such as white bread, biscuits, cakes and sweets and replacing them with unrefined carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruit and vegetables. The glycaemic index refers to the rate at which the carbohydrate in a food is converted into glucose. Refined carbohydrates convert more quickly, causing spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels, which have been linked to acne. The carbohydrates in unrefined carbohydrates take longer to break down - helping to keep blood glucose and insulin levels steady.

I wish you good luck with the treatment of your acne.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

TimHensby

by TimHensby on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 am

Many thanks to you both for your comprehensive replies. I shall be making an appointment with my GP to discuss further.

cheggs@246810

by cheggs@246810 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 am

I am mostly getting a lot of skin ties but also spots mostly on my back :lol:

Sus1es10ux

by Sus1es10ux on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:25 am

i get alot of spots on my upper back, i am 56 and this is a fairly recent thing

Dr Grumpy

by Dr Grumpy on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:27 pm

My facial spots seem to be due to a combination of ingrowing hairs and irritated hair follicles. I switched to an electric shaver some years back but when the hairs regrow its a real problem. Nothing seems to help and I don't like the 'designer stubble' look!

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:58 am

Dear Tim,

Thank you. I am sorry to hear about your skin problem!

I agree with my colleagues. It sounds like you may have acne which is very common and in such case you may benefit from Roacutane oral treatment.
I think it would be a good idea to see your family doctor in case if may need some screening tests if you bruise easily. For Roacutane you would need to see a Dermatologist on NHS or privately.

If you would like to read more about acne or available treatments you can go to my website www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

8 posts