Nothing has worked... Please share your experience!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy, CherrySencha, TalontedLex, JulieBC*

7 posts
bayredd96

by bayredd96 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 am

Nothing has worked... Please share your experience!

I have Rosacea Subtype 1 (erythematotelangiectatic rosacea) and I've had it since the beginning of middle school (I'm now 23). It has always been something that has made me self conscious. I maintain a pretty consistent skincare routine with very gentle products, avoiding all ingredients that are known to irritate the skin. I've been to 2 dermatologists - the first one put me on topical metronidazole which did not work. They put me on soolantra next, which also didn't work and broke me out a little bit.

I then switched to a new dermatologist back home, and they gave me Rhofade - I tried it for two weeks and it wasn't working, so I stopped using it, and that's when I had a pretty bad "withdrawal" reaction. My face got SO RED like I had a terrible sunburn, I had white splotches within the redness, and I had to sit with ice packs on my face. Luckily this only lasted for 3 days off-and-on.

I just went back to my dermatologist and she said there's not much else to do... she gave me a prescription for Mirvaso, but she said I may have a reaction to it based on my history with the Rhofade. She said if the Mirvaso doesn't work then the next step would be laser treatments. However, insurance typically doesn't cover it because it's considered cosmetic, and it can be pretty expensive. I honestly don't know what else to do.

I'm open to any suggestions from someone who has had any amount of success with Rosacea Subtype 1.

Thank you!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:44 am

Re: Nothing has worked... Please share your experience!

Hi bayredd96,

Thanking for posting on the forum and sorry to hear about your frustrating journey with Rosacea Subtype 1. Hopefully you'll receive some replies soon from other members who may been sharing your experience with the condition. Unfortunately we are unable to give specific medical advice on individual conditions here, but you may want to check out our client Chuckling Goat's website regarding balancing the gut microbiome and helping Rosacea.

Please find link here:

https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/product/rosacea/

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Jacghirl

by Jacghirl on Wed May 27, 2020 8:37 pm

I tried various creams and nothing worked. Then I found nettle moisturiser from a soapery in Glasgow. Its £25 for 150g jar but that lasts 6 months. Since I started using it 12 months ago, Ihave not had a single spot never mind a full blown outbreak.

BetScotland

by BetScotland on Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 am

I'm not sure what type of rosea I have small broken veins but I use Rosatrol by Zo at night I also use their exfoliate pads at night. In the daytime I use Zo primer spf30 after moisturizing and it seems to work for me. Hope this helps.

Caroline.L

by Caroline.L on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:46 am

I am Scottish and that, I believe, tends to mean fair skin which - as I have got older - has become more sensitive. I feel hormones have a lot to do with it, at least in my case.

I really didn't know about Rosacea but identified it when I googled the symptoms. I had already tried some natural (very expensive) ones which didn't help the dryness and the 'Aunt Sally' (check out Una Stubbs in Worzel Gummidge!) look. I also had laser which temporarily helped but the broken veins and dryness did return.

I spent some time researching products and found a site which seemed to fit the bill - it helped me identify the type of Rosacea (Type 1 ETR) I had and the best treatment(s) - so I bought the serum and balm, all natural and suitable for sensitive skin. I found the relief was almost immediate and although I ordered the Anti-Redness Primer I found that with the reduced redness by using the above, tinted moisturiser covered well enough and certainly my normal foundation easily did.

Good luck
Caroline

PSLondon

by PSLondon on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 pm

From all my research it seems that almost everyone has a reaction to Soolantra at the beginning. Did you use it for the full length of 12 weeks? I think i reacted in about week 2of using it, rash on both cheeks, then about 1.5 weeks later skin started to get better. By the end my entire face felt baby soft, no roughness anywhere.
I was also given antibiotics (Doxyc..) for 3 months. That was last year. This year i have again used the cream for 12 weeks but the reaction was alot less this time. Currently deciding on the antibiotic route as still have little spots popping up. I’ve read some people also use Soolantra once /twice a week for maintenance which i’d rather do. Hope this helps.

by 23612361 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:40 am

My experience for conquering rosacea included metrogel (less expensive than other presciption gels or creams). In between I liked to use a dab of polysporin and washed face twice a day with a homemade rosacea soap I found online. Be patient. My healing journey to about 5 weeks. Hope this helps anyone out there still dealing with this terrible condition.

7 posts