Spots 10 weeks on from intimate waxing

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
TimHensby

by TimHensby on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Spots 10 weeks on from intimate waxing

I had the hair waxed from front pubic region about 10 weeks ago. Initially for a couple of days I just had some inflammation which completely went with the use of moisturiser. I then followed the aftercare provided with exfoliation and moisturising and all was good for about another 4 weeks. Then small inflamed spots started appearing some with a white head type tip. I eventually had to go and see my GP who put me on a weeks course of strong penicillin as it seemed there was infection in some of the hair follicles. The penicillin did calm the inflammation down quite a bit and left more flat darker spots (more like a bruise colour) but now the area is again becoming inflamed with red painful spots some clearly with puss inside.

What is causing this and how can I get rid of the spots completely. Do I need another course of penicillin or are there ingrown hairs that should somehow be removed?

Thank you for your help.

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Spots 10 weeks on from intimate waxing

Hi There,

This sounds like folliculitus, which is inflammation around the hair follicle. This can occur on its own but is more common, as in your case, following trauma to the skin such as waxing.

It would be advisable for your GP to perform repeated swabs, if these have not already been performed, of the areas to look for any bacterial component aggravating the condition. Although typically the swabs may be negative, or show normal flora, the results can also find less common bacteria which may be aggravating the condition (for instance pseudomonas if you are a regular hot-tub user) or staphylococcus. The results can then help identify which antibiotics to use.

Generally washing with a soap substitute such as dermol cream, which can be bought over the counter, can help to reduce any irritation whilst additionally reducing the any localised bacterial colonisation, whilst awaiting the results from the swab.

It sounds like more antibiotics are going to be needed, therefore seek a review by your GP and ask about swabs.

I hope this helps.
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

TimHensby

by TimHensby on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Spots 10 weeks on from intimate waxing

Thank you for your kind help and advice.

3 posts