Can allergies or food intolerances be cyclical, or a phase?

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Laura Venditozzi-Fraser

by Laura Venditozzi-Fraser on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am

Can allergies or food intolerances be cyclical, or a phase?

Hi Talk Allergy Team,

I am curious as to whether food allergies (or in my case intolerance) can be a phase in ones life as opposed to forever. Up until my early 20's, I was able to eat everything fine. However I did have to go through some pretty major surgery to due very angry ulcerative colitis and subsequently had my colon removed at 17 and a stoma for a few years before it was reversed. At that time, I knew certain things upset my UC so I avoided spices etc but generally I was fine with wheat, dairy and had a healthy, varied diet.

Somewhere between 20 and 22 I randomly developed intolerance to gluten, wheat and dairy. I'm 28 now and have since had to totally change my diet just to be able to control pain and get by every day. I've been on the fodmap diet for at least 4-5 years now, and I switched to gluten and wheat free substitutes, and soya alternatives years ago. I also take 6 sachets of VSL #3 a day to replace my gut bacteria.

I have found the fodmap diet helpful, but due to my previous UC and now general IBS I find I can't eat veg and fruit anymore, or spices, greasy foods, excess sugar, caffeine, alcohol, nuts. It's really frustrating, as I basically live off of protein and starch and multivitamins and I don't feel I eat a healthy diet. So I'm wondering: as these intolerances came about quite abruptly, is it possible they could leave somewhere in my 30's and I could go back to a normal life? I've already been allergy tested and it came back with things I already knew like pollen, animal dander, dust, a little for nuts and I'm not prepared to put my gut through a full coeliac test as I've heard it's not got a high success rate.

At the moment I'm too scared to try re-introducing wheat as it used to cause so much pain, and equally with dairy as I'm quite lactose intolerant. I work full time and don't have any time or the stamina to try just going back to normal food, as the knock on effect is I can't leave the bathroom or I'm too sore to go to work... So do you think they will just leave eventually, or is this it?

Thanks!

andrejones

by andrejones on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 am

Re: Can allergies or food intolerances be cyclical, or a pha

Our bodies change throughout time and we might have allergy to foods we could eat in the past. I don't know if this is just a cycle or a permanent condition, but it can happen to anyone.

My dad could eat any type of fish without any problems, but now, everytime he eats a fish, he gets red itchy spots on the body. :shock:

Even doctors can't tell exactly why that happened. The only thing we know is that fish should be avoided going forward.

rquerido

by rquerido on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:11 pm

andrejones wrote:Our bodies change throughout time and we might have allergy to foods we could eat in the past. I don't know if this is just a cycle or a permanent condition, but it can happen to anyone.

My dad could eat any type of fish without any problems, but now, everytime he eats a fish, he gets red itchy spots on the body. :shock:

Even doctors can't tell exactly why that happened. The only thing we know is that fish should be avoided going forward.
Same thing here. My fiancé feels stuffed everytime she eats gluten. She didn't feel like this 6 months ago.

She went to doctor 3x and they never diagnosed anything. We don't what to do but she isn't easting nothing that contains gluten! :(

fermunhoz93

by fermunhoz93 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm

rquerido wrote:
andrejones wrote:Our bodies change throughout time and we might have allergy to foods we could eat in the past. I don't know if this is just a cycle or a permanent condition, but it can happen to anyone.

Same thing here. My fiancé feels stuffed everytime she eats gluten. She didn't feel like this 6 months ago.

She went to doctor 3x and they never diagnosed anything. We don't what to do but she isn't easting nothing that contains gluten! :(
Hey rquerido,

I dont know if you come here to the forum yet but you can't detect that you are allergic to gluten until you stop eats from at least 30 days.

I suffer from celiac disease and I had to stop gluten to understand that every time I eat gluten I feels stuffed too. Tell your girl to stop today and waits 30 days.

She will be fine after these days! :) I hope it help her.

Thanks,
Fer

Plataforma Digital

by Plataforma Digital on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm allergic to gluten, and the worst part is that it took me a long time to figure it out. It was very bad without knowing why.

marcosmith120

by marcosmith120 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:06 pm

Physical reactions to certain foods are common, but most are caused by a food intolerance rather than a food allergy. A food intolerance can cause some of the same signs and symptoms as a food allergy, so people often confuse the two.

A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and often limited to digestive problems.

If you have a food intolerance, you may be able to eat small amounts of the offending food without trouble. You may also be able to prevent a reaction. For example, if you have lactose intolerance, you may be able to drink lactose-free milk or take lactase enzyme pills (Lactaid) to aid digestion.
As per my research widely doctor prescribes Tadalafil for ed treatment buy vidalista 20 mg https://bit.ly/2Nd1vt1 concept price in usa. :D

6 posts