Medication for eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
HaytchJones

by HaytchJones on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Medication for eczema

Hi there

I have suffered all my life with eczema, I am now 23. It comes in different extremities, currently I am suffering horrendously and have been signed off work for three weeks.
I am being seen by a dermatologist and she has given me a choice of three tablets to take:
Cyclosporine
Azothrioprine
Methotrexate

After researching these, they all seem very strong and extreme tablets. I am just wondering if anybody has had any experience taking any of these medications? Any advice would be great.

Thanks! :D

LouisB1989

by LouisB1989 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Re: Medication for eczema

Hi,

I feel your pain.

For some reason mine decided to flair up really bad recently after being dormant for 20 + years! I've been on Methotrexate at the highest dosage which was 25mg if I remember correctly and i'm currently on Cyclosporine as the Methotrexate wasn't working. Don't be scared by the side effects. I didn't have any major problems. One morning my knees gave way as I bent down to grab something but thats pretty much the only issue I have had. Oh, and warm hands and feet which is an odd feeling.

The worst thing about these tablets is that I thought they were going to be a miracle cure but none of them have worked so far and the only thing that works for me are steroids. I've spent alot of time of time and money going back and forth to see numerous consultants. sorry to put a downer on this post but I dont want you to have unrealistic expectations.

drvaidyas

by drvaidyas on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 am

Why don't you try Ayurvedic medicine for eczema. 100% natural and safe medicine without any side effects,

_ShazzAJ

by _ShazzAJ on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:45 am

Hello! Shazz here. I came across this thread and would like to share some advice, I hope it helps!

It must have been a very painful and unpleasant journey suffering from eczema, especially dealing with inflamed skin outbreaks and flare-ups. Eczema condition is usually associated with poor immune functions, poor gut health, or exposure to allergens or environmental toxins and so on.

In essence, it’s important to keep your immunity in its optimal state to prevent the flare-ups. I think it is best to avoid steroid/chemical-based products to prevent potential adverse effects in the long run (both adults and kids especially as their skin is more delicate), also because,

1. You may become too reliant/dependent on drugs
2. These products may not solve the root cause of the issue

Having said that, managing eczema requires a lot of patience, trial and error and religiously sticking to routines that work best for your skin condition.

Here’s a very informative article that I’d like to share. Although it’s focused on kids, there are a couple of useful tips, natural remedies and other tried and tested solutions listed that even adults can benefit from too.

Read this 👉: eatprayflying.com/itch-no-more-causes-and-remedies-for-eczema-in-young-children/

Hope this has been helpful, take care! 😊

Latrice Sang

by Latrice Sang on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:16 pm

treatment for eczema is always trial and error

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:23 pm

It is good to be aware of medications for eczema and what exactly eczema is and its causes.

My brother had the condition as a child. He could not go near cats. We were lucky he was not allergic to dogs [as we owned a dog]. I remember the applications of E45 cream, after every bath. I had a lot of sympathy for my brother. I was lucky enough not to have it. It is a highly distressing skin condition.

Interesting posts: there is a lot to understand about eczema. Not just for sufferers: but also for people caring for eczema sufferers.

6 posts