Eczema on genital area on 7 month old girl....

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Kzlo

by Kzlo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 am

Eczema on genital area on 7 month old girl....

I'm pretty new to the whole eczema thing. My family nor my wife's family has ever had it. My daughter which is 7 months now developed a Scaly nickle sized dry area right above the vagina and on one side of her butt cheek. I had brought her to the pediatrician and he had told me it was baby eczema. The doctor prescribed me a prescription strength topical steroid to put on area. We had put the steroid on and eczema went away for about 1 week then came back with vengeance with other areas very red but only under her diaper area, nowhere else. This has all started when we introduced solid foods to her when she was about 5-1/2 ---6 months old. The pediatrition had told us that there would be more acidity in her stool from eating solids. We have to wait 10 days before we use the steroid again which is applied for 3 days, seems to work but not for longer then a week. We just switched her diapers from pampers to organic huggies just 2 days ago to see if it has to do with her diapers since the only areas are on her tush and just above her vagina. Please post if anyone is going through same thing or has any suggestions that would help us on this emotional journey.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Eczema on genital area on 7 month old girl....

Sorry to hear of that persisting genital rash, below an extract from interview with dermatologist on my blog on the genital area.. she recommended virgin coconut oil:
"Marcie Mom: And can they do so if they have a rash at the groin area?

Dr. Verallo-Rowell: Yes with the virgin coconut oil. I have seen extremely irritated skin, however, where even water makes them sting. In these cases, I prescribe the total removal of all products with just a bit of the VCO applied very lightly and gingerly, section by section — which I’ve found to be soothing until the oil can be applied all over. Once less sensitive, soaking in it can be done."

I was asking about whether the child can soak in bath oil, despite the rash at groin area.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

pixel4reg

by pixel4reg on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Re: Eczema on genital area on 7 month old girl....

I remember reading Merino Wool underwear can help with eczema

3 posts