Clopidogeral and Ginger

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mickthehealer

by mickthehealer on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Clopidogeral and Ginger

I am on Clopidogeral, started juicing veg and fruit as well juicing Ginger and found that I was bleeding a lot from an anal fissure more than usual, I had to stop the medication and the ginger for two days, now I do not have ginger and symptoms have improved. Does this sound feasible reaction with these combined or just a coincidence? I am on medication due to a mild stroke.

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 am

Re: Clopidogeral and Ginger

Dear mickthehealer,

Thank you for posing such an interesting question. If I am being honest, I have had to refer back to my herbal textbooks for this one!

Ginger is commonly used to stimulate metabolism, treat sickness and inflammatory conditions. There is evidence that states ginger naturally slows blood clotting. When combined with clopidogrel, there is significant risk of bruising and bleeding. It sounds to me that what you have experienced is a feasible interaction, especially if you have been using the fresh ginger root and using a fair amount.

For information, other herbal products such as garlic, ginkgo, ginseng, and feverfew also interact with clopidogrel.

I hope this is useful to you,

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts