Obesity

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha

19 posts
ongonadi

by ongonadi on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

Obesity

When did people start to realized that obesity is spreading throughout the world? I am doing a research paper on worldwide obesity. And one question that I have to answer in my paper is when did this issue come up? I know when it became a public problem in the United States but does anyone know when obesity came into the public attention worldwide in general?
Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signatures containing URL's are not permitted - see forum rules & guidelines

metaslim

by metaslim on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Obesity

Today's lifestyle & eating habits is the major cause of obesity. People prefer more the outside eating & junk food which only satisfy the taste bud but contain zero nutritional value & only have fats, bad cholesterol which increases weight. People should eat healthy, fresh, nutritious home-made food & follow active lifestyle.
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed - URL's in signatures not permitted

suekyra57

by suekyra57 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi, the old name for obesity was 'fat'. I was born in the mid fifties, and you ate what was on your plate. You were not allowed to be 'picky' if it was not your favorite , well tough luck. Unfortunately for me, i was also a 'fat' child, energetic, but still fat - and in my teens got fatter. At age 21 weighing about 14 stone [ 196 lbs, or 90kg, size 18 clothes] having tried countless diets, and failed, i decided i really, really had to lose some weight, and tried a diet booklet given to me by my doctor at the time.[ i had very little faith but thought i have nothing to lose and all to potentially gain] In 3 months i lost 2 and a half stone, [almost 40 lbs] i was not hungry, found the diet easy to keep to which was really good! That was 37 years ago, and i have not put the weight back on, [ well sometime a lb or 2 at Christmas] but i still weigh 63kg and take a size 10/12 in clothes. However the downside to me being an overweight teenager is that however thin/not fat my friends tell me i am, when i look in the mirror i still see the fat teenager. this for me is the real problem. my husband tells me that i need a new mirror - one which tells the truth? However for my brain i already have one which tells the truth, that i am too fat.
However the weight loss, you have probably guessed was the much argued about Atkins diet. However for me it was a real turning point, it worked, i had none of the problems which other people reported, although any diet has to be looked at and not taken to the point of extreme [ just because it says that you can eat as much cheese as you like, it did not mean literally half a pound on the cauliflower cheese.] Taken subjectively, following the instructions/guidelines and within reason most diets will work, but to really work for you, the food has to be likeable, and seen as an eating plan for life - which i made mine but luckily for me there are very few vegetables meats, or fish which i dislike, so that was the reason it worked for me i guess.

Adwerd007

by Adwerd007 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

That are really nice post. According to me if you want to reduce your obesity, You should take a lot of care of your diet and must take some exercise. Make sure that you take low fat and carbs in you diet. You can also use green tea. Its boost your metabolism and helps you to burn extra body fat.
Last edited by Adwerd007 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JudithJohnson

by JudithJohnson on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:06 am

Obesity can cause many other health problems and sometimes make people depressed and stressed a lot. If you will not try to lose by yourself, no one can help. It is easy to lose weight by diet and exercise. If hunger is your problem, you can try diet supplements for hunger control.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi and welcome to the talkweight forum,

Thank you for sharing your stories.

This blog post may be interesting for you to read on obesity-

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... d-obesity/

In addition we have articles, and patient journeys you can read in our talkweight section-

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/talkweight/

This may be useful to read for further discussions around obesity.

Best wishes
Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

amyjackson

by amyjackson on Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 am

A few decades back people used to do physical work so they were physically fit and healthy. With the advancement of technology various facilities have been added to our daily lifestyle that decrease our physical activities and become the major cause of obesity. Poor nutrition clubbed with sedentary lifestyle that urban population leads is the prime cause of obesity.

Latrice Sang

by Latrice Sang on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:45 am

Obesity is also caused by unhealthy lifestyle. Even if you work hard and get tired, you also have the tendency to get fat. Example, you came from work, ate a lot and sleep immediately. You don't get a chance to burn all the calories you ate and you'll end up gaining weight.

19 posts