Tell me more...

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

21 posts
mark

by mark on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Tell me more...

Hi all,

Im keen to hear about your health and exercise concerns, successes and any questions you may have in relation to health, weight, exercise and fitness :o

Please do start a new "topic" or simply continue this thred with your reply.

Let us know of any good classes you attend, or any good membership deals of local gyms/clubs you are a member of.

:)
Mark
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

Jenny S

by Jenny S on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Tell me more...

Hello Mark - I've always had a problem with my weight and have fluctuated up and down by about 1.5 stone or so over the years. I've made massive adjustments to what I eat and how much I eat and I've lost about 3/4 of a stone. But that's where i'm stuck! Problem is I don't really exercise. What I'm curious to know is that if I stick with eating regime I ahve in place, and then do some exercise - will I lose that extra weight? Thanks :?
Jenny
Wants to lose weight!

mark

by mark on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:57 pm

I would ask you to look at your thoughts toward food. Diets dont work so changing your eating habits long term is best, learn about what you are eating. See my blogs for a little more info on this.

Exercise is needed for the body to function so this is vital. Move as much as you can through out the day and try to have a set exercise day where you workout for say 30 mins. You need to build a life style around possitive life choices in regards to foods and exercise.

Two sayings i like are - you are what you eat... And life is motion so move

exercise and a healthy diet of life foods will see your body fat % reduce, choose exercise that you like and enjoy, bring this into your life and im sure you will start to see improvements

Ill be interested in the choices you make so came back keep us updated and maybe we can TalkExercise.

I hope this helps
Mark
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Mark,

My one indulgence everyday is a bowl of coco pops for breakfast but i read this week that it is the worst thing you can have as it is the equivalent to a bar of chocolate for breakfast.

I otherwise eat healthily and am quite active. What would you suggest i swap coco pops for? It needs to be quick and filling. Is cereal the best or should i have something else? I try not to eat bread as it makes me put on weight.

Thanks

mark

by mark on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi you should try eggs, fish, meats, or a cerial that has less than 25g carbohydrate per serving. Replace cows milk with goats. This may help.

coco pops will send your body on a roller coaster ride of high and low blood sugar. This is easily avoided.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 am

I am a vegetarian and don't eat many eggs but will def look for a cereal that has less than 25g carb thanks.

Why is Goats milk better? I Currently have skimmed cows milk but would consider changing if it's better for me.

Thanks

mark

by mark on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 am

Goats milk is closer to our human milk and also of a better ph.

Cows milk is very commercial... I will post a link regards milk when i can get on my laptop. Alternativly google.... Milk the white blood. Or raw milk. It is very interesting to read and you may be shocked by facts about commercially sold milk.

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/index.html here is the link for milk facts.

If i remember correctly shreddies were banned in eu county.... So pick cerial carefully....

Its really good to hear from people choosing to make possitive life choices on here..... :)

Thanks
Mark
Last edited by mark on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

Kate99

by Kate99 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi,

What exercise is best for me, i am an overweight asthmatic and so struggle with any exercise in the cold or if its too strenuous as it triggers my asthma?

Also how accurate do you think the BMI theory is? I have heard that it is only accurate underwater (can't remember the reason) as people may be different builds but not overweight yet their frame isn't taken into account?

Think its fab that you started this thread, thanks

mark

by mark on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Kate 99,

I wrote an essay and the laptop seemed to kick me out :( so here is the easy reading version. :D

BMI - Body Mass Index - (An Index of your body Mass) NOT a Specific Breakdown of what your body is comprised of.

Muscle Weighs more than Fat. So your BMI is not an accurate way to chart your health.

I think you are refering to Hydrostatic weighing this is done in water and is the best way to determine your body fat %. Also best done with no Hair :o

We do have different body types (morphs) and this is not taken into account with BMI.

As far as your exercise is concerned obviously consult your GP if you plan to make a possitive life choice and start to exercise. They may alter your meds or give specific personal advice to you.

I would look at Swimming, Walking, Cycling and Weights. Look to keep the intensity down and maybe in short bursts until you start to respond to the exercise.
Some people find the dam warm air in the pool hall good for Asthma and the recycled air-con cold dry air in the studios worse. but this may not be the case with all.

I hope this helps.

:)
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance

izza

by izza on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 am

Since I've been doing a regular exercise I do as much as any exercise or routines that I can do like jogging, brisk walking, swimming or playing badminton any other activities that can help me burn calories.

21 posts