Clicky joints

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 pm

Clicky joints

I've always had very clicky joints and at times (particularly my ankles) make very loud cracks - is there a chance I could get arthritis? Thanks (Moira)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Tracy Corbett
Report Quote

by Tracy Corbett on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:04 pm

Re: Clicky joints

Hello, Moira

That's a great question.

As physiotherapists, we don't consider clicky joints a problem unless the clicking is painful.

The clicking is called crepitus and is usually due to gas bubbles popping in the synovial fluid of your joints. Synovial fluid is the lubricant in our joints. It's quite normal for our joints to make these noises provided they're not painful or swollen.

Natural wear on our joints can also cause them to make noises as we get older, but clicking is not necessarily associated with arthritis. Osteoarthritis affects the surfaces of our joints which can cause them to become rougher. This may cause a cracking or crackling sound when we move (I've heard it described as velcro pulling apart).

If you have joints that click regularly and are painful, it may be worth approaching your GP to ask for a referral to a physiotherapist for an assessment. Your local physiotherapist can evaluate you and provide a targeted individualised exercise programme which can help to keep your muscles strong. This helps to protect your joints and can also be pain relieving.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

2 posts