Gene editing research for EI

View our collaboration clinic with Ichthyosis Support Group. ISG skin experts were here to answer all of your questions about self-management, treatments and beyond!
3 posts
hsummers81@gmail.com
Report Quote

by hsummers81@gmail.com on Thu May 12, 2022 10:22 am

Gene editing research for EI

In 2019, Oliver March and Julia Reichelt published a paper on the potential use of TALENS to correct the dominant KRT10 mutation in EI. Since then, both have moved onto other endeavours, and it appears that there is currently no active pre-clinical research for EI. Dr Amy Paller also explored gene editing for EI back in 2012, but has since stated that the method was never going to be a viable clinical option because of the immense time required per patient. She stated new advances in CRISPR/TALEN technology are needed in order to make gene editing an option for EI.

My question is, is there anyone in the world currently working on a gene editing solution for EI? If not, how can we move this important work forwards?

Dr Gabriela Petrof
Report Quote

by Dr Gabriela Petrof on Thu May 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Re: Gene editing research for EI

Thank you for your question. I am not aware on anyone else having expertise in gene editing for EI. I would suggest you contact the authors of the 2019 publication who are based in Salzburg Austria. It may be possible they are working on the next steps.

hsummers81@gmail.com
Report Quote

by hsummers81@gmail.com on Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm

Re: Gene editing research for EI

I spoke to them both, they have moved onto different projects and are no longer researching EI. All focus on gene editing in the genodermatoses is with EB.

3 posts