Post Hysterectomy

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.
2 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:48 pm

Post Hysterectomy

After suffering with andenomyosis and fibroids for years I had a hysterectomy last year, my uterus and cervix were removed. There really hasn’t been much after care information to be honest. I kept my ovaries and I’ve noticed I will get some pain around the time of my period. If I don’t have a uterus what’s going on inside me during my ‘period’ time? Also as long as my ovaries work I won’t need help with hormones, is that right? (Chana)
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Frances Yarlett
Report Quote

by Dr Frances Yarlett on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Re: Post Hysterectomy

Hi Chana,
I hope your symptoms of adenomyosis and fibroids have improved following your hysterectomy.
As your ovaries were preserved, you will still have a hormonal cycle and release an egg (ovulate) each month. The egg that is being released each month from one of your ovaries is absorbed back into the body in the pelvic cavity.
A period is the shedding of the womb lining, and because your womb has been removed, there is no lining that needs to shed so you will not menstruate or have a period at all, and no blood is being released into your pelvic cavity.

As your ovaries have been preserved, you have not needed hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Some women who undergo hysterectomy have their ovaries removed which immediately causes a "surgical menopause" and these women will need HRT to protect their bones and heart.

Even if your ovaries are still there, you may experience symptoms of perimenopause earlier. It may be difficult to tell when you are entering perimenopause without having periods, so look out for symptoms including hot flushes, dry skin or vagina, mood & memory changes, fatigue, joint pain, anxiety or loss of libido.
If you start to experience any of these which are affecting your day to day life OR before you turn 45, see your GP to discuss whether HRT is an option for you.

I hope this has helped!
Best wishes,
Dr Frances Yarlett

2 posts