bowel and bladder problems

From painful passing to overactivity, loads of us are living with urology conditions. That's why we are working with The Urology Foundation on a clinic all about peeing troubles so that you can ask your urology questions in our safe online forum.
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:45 pm

bowel and bladder problems

Hi,
Since having my total hysterectomy 2 years ago I have problems with both bowel and bladder.
To fully empty my bladder I have to lean forward as I’m passing urine or I only get drips coming out.
My bowels appear to have forgot how to work too, if I manage to have a bowel movement once a week I’m lucky. I’ve tried laxatives but they only appear to work once maybe twice then I’m back to square one.
Any suggestions would be brilliant

Many Thanks
Rosie
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Professor Marcus Drake
Report Quote

by Professor Marcus Drake on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Re: bowel and bladder problems

It would be interesting to know if the hysterectomy affected the support of your bladder/ bowel by your pelvic floor, or whether the nerves were affected. The first is suggested if you have a prolapse, the second if you have lost feeling in the area. Physiotherapy may be able to help in some situations, so it may be worth getting assessed to see if that could be appropriate

zildjyan67
Report Quote

by zildjyan67 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm

Re: bowel and bladder problems

Thank you for your reply.
I had a bladder lift done 4 years before my hysterectomy.
I was receiving physio phone calls during the covid out break last year and was also given Solifenacine to take twice a day, which has helped a lot. I was also given a diet sheet with bladder friendly food and drinks, the combination of both the tablets and the dietary change has stopped the pain in my pelvis and lower left stomach.
Rosie

3 posts