EKV

Dr Anton Alexandroff, Dr Andrew Thompson and Dr Alia Ahmed will kindly be joining us to give advice on all things related to mental health in relation to skin conditions on Thursday 15 April but the clinic will be open from Monday 12 April for you to post your questions in advance.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:18 pm

EKV

I suffer from EKV very badly - is there a treatment that might help??? This greatly effects my mental health which in turn effects my skin
Attachments
skin.jpg
skin.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Re: EKV

Thank you for your question. EKV is a rare condition that has a number of management options including topical and oral treatments (e.g. emollients with added ingredients for dry skin, topical steroids, oral or topical retinoids). From your question I cannot tell which options have been made available to you, however it is worth discussing with your current dermatologist that you have received information for all the available options for your particular case. In terms of the effects on your mental health, I would suggest the following supportive options:
1. Speak to your healthcare provider about how you are feeling and importantly ask if you would benefit from additional treatment for your skin that would help your mental health
2. Please consider looking at support groups for people in a similar situation to you, the Ichthyosis support group is a good starting point: www.ichthyosis.org.uk
3. Your local talking therapies team (accessed via your GP usually) might be able to offer additional support for symptoms of psychological distress
4. Ask if you can be referred to a psychodermatologist to address both your skin and mental health at the same time
I hope this helps with your question. I wish you all the best for the future.
Dr Alia
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts