Enlarged prostate?

If you have questions about prostate health please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Enlarged prostate?

For a while I've had some symptoms of prostate enlargement - such as weak flow and getting up to urinate in the night. At one point I was up 2 or 3 times a night, though it settled down to once a night.

Then I suddenly started getting "dribbling after peeing" which lasted maybe a month. Then it all went away - the dribbling and the getting up in the night.

However a month on it's now back - both the getting up (once a night every night for a week) plus the dribbling.

Having read about an enlarged prostate it seems like something that gradually gets worse with age but is it something that can come and go?

Is this normal or could it be something else with similar symptoms?

Any thoughts appreciated - Richard
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Re: Enlarged prostate?

Richard
interesting one
Certainly enlargement doesn't come and go, but inflammation of the prostate can do. This might explain occasional flare ups. Could also be caused by infections.
Sounds like you should see a GP at least and consider trialing an alpha blocker type medicine. They should also do a urine dip test or mid stream urine, an IPSS prostate symptom score and a rectal exam to check the size and shape of the prostate.

Ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran

by Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Dear Richard

Often these symptoms represent inflammation on top of age-related enlargement of the prostate. Worth getting checked by a GP or urologist, with some basic tests: urine tests, blood tests, a finger exam of the prostate (not as bad as it sounds I promise!), and a flow rate and checking the bladder empties.

Cheers

PS
scastle@santishealth.org
Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... umaran.php

Pieter Meiring

by Pieter Meiring on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Dear Richard

The intermittent nature you describe does seem to indicate prostatitis rather than BPH, but a diagnosis is important. I would agree that you should consult your GP in the first instance.

From a herbal point of view, I would suggest that you may want to consider some dietary changes such as reducing alcohol and red meat and cholesterol-rich foods, increasing oily fish (or supplements) and plant-based foods, especially organic soya (shown to be prostate protective) and foods high in zinc - pumpkin seeds is an easy one (or a zinc supplement). Teas are especially useful too, and I would suggest a strong infusion of horsetail and goldenrod 3-4 times daily. There are various other herbs that may be beneficial but I would advise that you get a diagnosis first and then consult a herbalist (should you choose to follow this route) for more specific advice depending on your circumstances. They can help you with specific dietary recommendation, and based on your diagnosis and individual circumstances, be able to create a bespoke herbal prescription for you.

Best wishes
Pieter

4 posts