persistent pain after bunion surgery

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
redmaggie

by redmaggie on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:26 pm

persistent pain after bunion surgery

Hello, 12 months ago I had bunion surgery, and was thought to have had CRPS for 6 months until it gradually resolved. Now, my operated foot is more painful than pre-op, and the arthritis in both feet seems worse. Xrays show no problem with the operation healing but I'm told my foot fat pads are thin.
i've been recommended injection treatment- but can't get it so far & have tried all sorts of topicals & NSAIDS with limited success. Now just taking cocodamol in the evening/night time. I also have moderate Reynaud's and erythromelalgia to add to the discomfort. I am good at self care, not overweight & have good footwear. I'm 63, and active - I don't have arthritis anywhere else, and so am otherwise fit.
my question - do I have to resign myself to being limited & sore? I feel every step and it's hard to keep positive after a very painful post op year.
Thank you for your reply!

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Re: persistent pain after bunion surgery

Unfortunately there are a few people who will experience persistent pain even after surgery, especially after CRPS which can be especially disabling. Your question doesn't mention footwear or insoles which are absolutely vital in helping with the kind of pain you describe where the footpads are thin so that any weight you bear will go straight through the joints. A second pair of indoor comfortable shoes will be better than bare feet or flat slippers. Custom-made insoles can help but often the rigid ones provided by the NHS are too hard and can make the pain worse, so it is worth shopping around. Gel insoles can be bought fairly cheaply, or even better, private podiatrists can make soft foam insoles which are likely to help although they can be quite expensive. Injections may help if you have osteoarthritis in some of the foot joints. Manual treatments including soft tissue massage, rolling the sole of your foot with a tennis ball may also help with sore muscles and soft tissues.

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action
https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/
020 3781 7120

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action
https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/
020 3781 7120

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Re: persistent pain after bunion surgery

Hello, RedMaggie.
Dr Holden's suggestions are all excellent. As well as those, you could ask your GP for a referral to an orthopaedic or musculoskeletal physiotherapist, preferably one who has experience of bunion surgery and treating feet. There are a number of self-management techniques which your physiotherapist can teach that can be very helpful with ongoing foot pain, including specific foot mobilising exercises, manual treatments (self-massage and mobilisation), pain-relieving taping techniques which you can do for yourself at home.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts