Shingles pain

Post your questions on chronic pain here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Shingles pain

After a bout of shingles last year, I have been left with post-herpetic neuralgia. It’s absolutely awful and it’s really getting me down. It’s like a stabbing pain and can really take my breath away. I’ve tried paracetamol and ibuprofen but they don’t touch the pain. The GP prescribed another painkiller but still did not help. Please can you let me know what other treatments are out there that will help with this. I’m open minded! Also, how long is this pain likely to affect me for and will it ease over time?
Brian
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Carol Wright

by Carol Wright on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Re: Shingles pain

Hi Brian

I am sorry to hear of your pain and the ongoing problems that you are experiencing. I can hear your frustration in the email about the fact that the pain is unresolved.

Some people take longer than others to recover from the pain of shingles. Many people find that if they deal with any ongoing stress that, the shingles pain settles. Stress of course, comes in all sorts of guises and produces worry and anxiety - even when you are trying to resolve the current problem.

I would suggest boosting your immune system with a balanced non processed food diet. Lots of colours of the rainbow food and less sugar or starchy food. This may reduce the inflammation within your system and decrease the pain receptors under the skin, in the liver and spleen and be able to circulate your blood fully.

The medication that you have been taking helps the brain divert the pain. If you wanted a more natural approach some people find Acupuncture helps to reboot the nervous system to divert the pain.

Let me know how you get on with the anti inflammatory approach. I am happy to help further to support you through that journey.
Carol Wright
Grief, loss, health and life coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... rol-wright

Simone Gilbert

by Simone Gilbert on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: Shingles pain

Hi Brian
I truly feel for you - I'm so sorry to hear you've suffered so much with shingles. It's an awful condition to endure.

Having also suffered a bout a few years ago I can share what worked best for me.
Firstly, rest. Shingles is a very big signal that your immune system is in overdrive. Rest and stress management is crucial to your recovery. I wonder can you recall what triggered the shingles flare? (I made a mental note and avoided the combination consciously)

As well, as shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, I found that an ongoing supplement of the amino acid L-Lycine really helped support my immune system. You may like to look into this as well as other options to optimise your immunity. For me avoiding certain foods tended to help ease the discomfort (during and post the worst of the 'attack') These included tomatoes, red wine, dark chocolate, oranges and blueberries. This wasn't a forever thing but it certainly helped my system to rebalance. You might like to investigate high Lysine/low arginine foods.

Topically I found that topical application of Lavender & Frankincense essential oil helped with the pain. There are others but these two are my 'go-to' combination. Again, you may find another combination works for you. You mentioned that you're open to anything and this might be one area that helps ease your symptoms. I found that soothing baths with magnesium flakes and lavender oil with a little coconut oil as well, took some of the heat out of the hot areas. Magnesium is great to support healing, manage stress, ease soreness ... you may find it helps.

You could also consider a food diary of sorts. This is simply a record of what you eat and what your symptoms are afterwards. This may give you an insight into particular triggers so that you can avoid them going forward. In terms of specific dietary guidelines I tend to find that a focus on whole foods (vegetables, fruit and protein) is the best option to support immune strength whereas sugar and carbohydrates (especially refined - think, white and beige) are much harder on our system and undermine our immune strength.

Hoping this provides some help and insight into steps you can take and options you have to feel better soon. Please do send any more questions - I'm here and happy to help.

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Simone
Simone Gilbert
B. Ec, IAHC - Health & Wellness Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ilbert.php

3 posts