Don't know where to turn

Ask any questions relating to digestive health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Kate99

by Kate99 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 pm

Don't know where to turn

Hi

I'm having a very complicated time with my digestive health. I've got lots of food sensitivities, Gluten, Dairy, Corn, Wheat, Soya, all food additives, Buckwheat, Sunflower/palm oil, bananas, red meat, peas and the list keeps getting longer. I've had sensitivities since I was a child but they're increasing. My symptoms are vast too, and have waxed and waned over the years. My latest ones are really awful. Every time I eat anything I get tingling and a flare of my dyshidrotic eczema on my fingers. I feel sick on wakening and then have bad bloating and wind. Also, I've been having a very weird symptom where it feels like a sort of burning/acidic feeling in my throat, mouth/tongue, nasal passage and even my eyes. It then feels a bit wheezy.

One of my friends said it could be histamine/salicylates/oxilate issues but don't know if it can be that. Does that sound like a histamine issue? I was worried it was Covid but not sure. So there is something definately going on with my digestion. Maybe its a reflux issue but never had reflux before. I haven't been to any consultants before about it. Now with the current situation that will be out of the question.

I used to have proctitis years ago but that has got better since I changed my diet and went of gluten and dairy.

My big worry is if its a histamine/salicylates issues plus the intolerances I already have, there really is not much I can eat and I'm hungry a lot of the time and reacting to everything I eat!

Also how do I test if I have a problem with histamine or salicylates/oxilates etc

Been to countless Doctors and functional medicine doctors but still just don't know what is going on. I just don't know where to turn! Thank you

Carol Wright

by Carol Wright on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:33 pm

Re: Don't know where to turn

Hi Kate

Thank you for the post. You seem to have a lot going on. Our digestive systems are complicated and can be affected by a mix of things such as food and stress. To add to that, they can affect our skin too.

I see that you have already seen functional medicine people and doctors. Has anyone suggested an elimination diet and pre and probiotics? This can help settle your acidity in the stomach and refresh the gut bacteria. When the good bacteria is lost and its only the bad bacteria present, this can cause an acid reflux which may be the symptoms you are experiencing. Since you have had years of history which may have involved medications and antibiotics, this may be the route to go down. Certainly, I think a new holistic approach may help you and with help you should be able to see a difference over time.

I am here and happy to help you consider the best approach.
Carol Wright
Grief, loss, health and life coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... rol-wright

Izabella Natrins

by Izabella Natrins on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Re: Don't know where to turn

Hi Kate ... I'm so sorry to hear of these struggle.

I'd reinforce Carol's advice - and I too would recommend starting with sealing and healing the gut and slowly re-building the integrity and function of the digestive tract.

I'd also add that it is SO important to remember that we are much more than what we eat (though food is often our quickest win). We (and our health) are products of our bio-psycho-emotional- social-environmental 'exposome' and our vision, purpose, meaning, food, sleep, movement, rest, relationships and connection all have the potential to impact on every aspect of our health... and often, it starts in the gut.

I hear your frustration with trying to get the right help Kate; for me, I'd find a functional health practitioner who is experienced in gut health and who works holistically.

Good luck and better health Kate... and I'd definitely take up Carol's offer helping you find the best approach :)
Izabella Natrins
Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine Health Coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... la-natrins

3 posts