Itching and scarring

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

3 posts
Kate99

by Kate99 on Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 am

Itching and scarring

Hi, I know you are not supposed to pick spots because of scarring but sometimes i can't help it. My spots are often sore or itchy. If i rub them or scratch them i sometimes pull the head off. I didn't even realise i was doing it so much until people were asking why i kept scratching.

Obviously it isn't good because of the scarring but i am also touching my skin more than i want to which is making my skin greasy and spreading bacteria.

Does anyone have any tips for stopping the pain and itching so that i don't keep touching it?

Thanks so much

seppo

by seppo on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:28 am

Re: Itching and scarring

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think itching indicates there's some damage to the skin barrier function, and this allows the skin to dry too much and for bacteria and other nasty things to enter easily.

Studies show that good moisturizers help to repair the skin barrier function. So perhaps you could try some facial moisturizer? Go for something's that formulated for facial skin so it doesn't clog the pores. Also, look for something with vitmain E or green tea in the ingredients.

Also, please check the skin care products you use. Many cleanses contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a known skin irritant. SLS was the reason behind my scalp acne. So it's worth checking this out.
I'm also a talkhealth blogger. Please check my blog here: http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... ppos-blog/

Kate99

by Kate99 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Re: Itching and scarring

Thanks, thats really interesting. I dont use products with SLS in as i try to only use natural products where possible but i didnt think of connections between that and acne so i will double check all my products.

Also never thought of dry skin being the reason why it itches but it makes sense as i do have very dry skin which is why it is so annoying that i also have acne. My skin usually starts off dry and flaky but by evening my face will be greasy whilst the rest of me is still dry.

Great points you raise, thanks

3 posts