Urge incontinence getting worse

If you have questions about urinary incontinence (urge and stress) please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Hipflask1

by Hipflask1 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 am

Urge incontinence getting worse

Since being away from work due to Covid I’m finding a worsening problem.
At home I’m closer to the toilet and it is always available but finding having more accidents.
For the first time I’ve bought pads. Now I’m dreading going back to work as I won’t be able to use the toilet as much.
I’m 43, have had 2 children and am a runner.
It’s starting to affect my clothing choices and I think I need to start addressing this worsening problem.

Mr Rajesh Nair

by Mr Rajesh Nair on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:44 am

Re: Urge incontinence getting worse

Understandably, this has been getting you down and the key thing is not to suffer in silence. If you have incontinence needing pads, urgency and frequency of urination has got to the point that you are needing to plan where toilets are please do seek a referral with a urologist or continence expert. There are many tablets to help calm the bladder and various strategies which can be used to improve your quality of life through injections in the bladder to stimulating specific nerves to calm the bladder. But before that, often you will have a few tests examining your urine, bloods, a scan of your bladder and kidney and assessment of your flow to ensure they are normal.
Seek help here. Ask your GP to refer you for an opinion.
All the Best.
Mr Rajesh Nair
Consultant Urological Surgeon, Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust - FRCS (Urol.), FEBU, MSc. (Urol)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... h_nair.php

Prof Christopher Chapple

by Prof Christopher Chapple on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Urge incontinence getting worse

Urgency incontinence (urge incontinence is the term used in the United States) is the consequence of urgency, a compelling desire to pass urine which is difficult to defer. There are drug treatments which can be very effective for this, but some of them do have side effects. They can be accessed through your general practitioner. One should also bear in mind that bladder re-training by measuring the output during the day for three consecutive days will help your doctor in assessing the situation and the potential for treatment.
Prof Christopher Chapple
The Urology Foundation expert & Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... happle.php

3 posts