so much energy

Post your questions regarding sleep and mental health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Maxi05

by Maxi05 on Thu May 28, 2020 10:51 am

so much energy

Hi - I’ve heard that oversleeping and lack of energy tend to be linked to depression. What mental health issues are linked to excessive energy? I have so much energy in the day and then at night it’s hard to relax and feel tired enough to drift off to sleep. At night time my brain refuses to shut down and I feel really really alert but in a focused way and I feel like I have to be doing something or moving around. Sometimes I am up all night working on personal or work projects. Maybe its not a problem and its just me but i'm worried i'm not getting sufficient sleep. What could this be, any advice would be great.
Many thanks

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Re: so much energy

Hi Maxine
Thanks for your post.

Excessive energy can be a symptom of an anxiety disorder like Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), social anxiety disorder and panic disorder for instance - and sleep can be affected by it. It may be worth you seeing you GP to rule out any underlying anxiety issues.

There are things you can do help too like exercising regularly, stopping smoking (if you do), cutting down on alcohol and caffeine and using relaxation techniques or mindfulness to help calm your mind and body before bed. You could also try writing down any thoughts or a to-do list before you go to bed - this can help stop a racing mind.

Regarding whether you've had sufficient sleep, you don't say when you go to bed and when you wake up. I would say if you feel the next day that you're full of energy, then chances are you are sleeping fine. However if you wake up and are still feeling exhausted by midday, then chances are you aren't sleeping well.

Hope that helps!
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts