depression and insomnia

Post your questions regarding sleep and mental health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Penelope Pitstop

by Penelope Pitstop on Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm

depression and insomnia

I’ve had on/off depression for a few years now and problems with my sleep, either wanting to sleep all the time or having issues with falling and staying asleep. Both problems are really impacting so many areas of my life and I've tried so many things to help it. I was wondering if insomnia is a symptom of depression or does depression trigger insomnia? It all feels a bit chicken and egg. Don't know what to do!

Dr Neil Stanley

by Dr Neil Stanley on Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 am

Re: depression and insomnia

Thanks for your question

You are right it is very much a chicken and egg situation. depression and poor sleep arise in the same area of the brain and do a problem with one may cause a problem with the other. Treating the depression may over time lead to improved sleep, but improving sleep may have a quicker effect in improving the depression. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia is a non-medicine way of improving sleep that has been shown to reduce symptoms of depression. There are digital versions of CBT-I available on the NHS in England and your GP should be able to refer you to it. Of course, appropriate treatment for depression should be sought.
Dr Neil Stanley
Independent Freelance Sleep Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tanley.php

2 posts