endometriosis again??

Post your questions regarding endometriosis here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jenny S

by Jenny S on Thu May 07, 2020 11:55 am

endometriosis again??

I’m at the end of my tether and quite baffled at why, even after menopause a few years ago that I am having what feels like endometriosis symptoms again. Really bad pelvic pain and what feels like menstrual cramp feeling/gastro and a few other symptoms. No bleeding though. I suffered really badly with endometriosis for years before the menopause and thought that finally the nightmare would be over after the change. It’s just so distressing. I am overweight and not sure if this causing issues with it. Could this still be endometriosis or something else?
Jenny
Wants to lose weight!

Karolina Afors

by Karolina Afors on Thu May 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Re: endometriosis again??

Sorry to hear you are having such troublesome symptoms. Endometriosis in post menopausal women is uncommon. It is generally felt to be less active in the postmenopausal period, however, it does have the potential to reactive if given appropriate stimulation. Post menopausal endometriosis may be enhanced in the presence of higher circulating level of oestrogen for example with hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Being overweight can sometimes result in fat cells being converted to oestrogen and could reactive the endometriosis theoretically.

I think in the first instance it would be important to exclude other causes for your pain. This may involve an abdominal and/or pelvic ultrasound as well as blood tests to assess for anaemia, vitamin d deficiency and also to asses function of the bowel and kidneys. Sometimes especially in instances of change in bowel habit or unexplained anaemia further investigation of the bowel wall may be advised by your doctor which may involve a colonoscopy.
Karolina Afors
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist - BSc MBBS MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _afors.php

2 posts