Saggy skin

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Lara J C

by Lara J C on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Saggy skin

Having lost 2 stone due to illness at mid life, skin has gone saggy, which is a bit depressing. Will it fill back out again once a little weight is put back on?Thanks

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Re: Saggy skin

Thanks for contacting us with your question. I hope you are recovered from your illness. Loss of weight, especially around areas where skin was previously stretched can lead to it losing the elasticity and looking as you describe. Changes in appearance can make some people feel emotionally distressed. It is possible that some of the changes will reverse as you return to your previous weight. In addition, good skin care may improve the texture and appearance of your skin. I suggest:
1. Improving texture by maintaining good hydration (drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day), regularly moisturizing, using body washes close to the skin's natural pH
2. Massage to maintain suppleness (you can do this yourself!)
3. Be gentle with your skin, pat dry and avoid rubbing harshly
4. Consider a collagen supplement
You mention in your post about 'mid life'. Hormonal changes can also contribute to skin changes. Please discuss with your GP if you think this may be a contributing factor. I hope this information is helpful. I wish you the very best.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts