Spotting

Post your peri-menopause questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
cjblue48

by cjblue48 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Spotting

I am 50 and been experiencing irregular periods for a number of years now, some light some heavy. My last period was after 58 days and was very heavy with flooding. It lasted 12 days and the doctor gave me tranexamic acid for the last 4 days of my period, which stopped the heavy flow. I had spotting every few days for about 2 weeks prior to my period, and spotting every few days since, now a further 2 weeks. My question is, is spotting normal?

Dr Shahzadi Harper

by Dr Shahzadi Harper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Re: Spotting

Hi

Spitting and irregular periods are a feature of perimenopause because hormones are fluctuating and depleting. Is also make sure you’re up to date with your cervical smear test.
Dr Shahzadi Harper
Women's Wellbeing and Menopause Doctor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... harper.php

Susie Debice

by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: Spotting

Hi there

Although spotting is completely normal during the early stages of the perimenopause if it continues or becomes heavier then it's good to mention this to your GP...

In the meantime, focusing on your diet and lifestyle may also help to support you during this time of hormonal fluctuation. Taking steps towards a healthier diet - think low sugar, salt, alcohol and saturated fat and eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein (poultry, fish) and complex carbs (lentils, pulses, wholegrains) which provide the fundamental principles for a health balanced diet.

Including foods rich in iron, folate and B12 such as lean meats and green leafy vegetables help to replenish iron lost through bleeding and help reduce the risk of anaemia. Vitamin C aids the absorption of iron in the gut so it's a good idea to have a small glass of citrus juice with your main meal, you could also take an iron and vitamin C supplement.

Cleanmarine MenoMin is a nutritional supplement containing folate and vitamin B12, alongside krill oil rich in omega-3 EPA and DHA, rosemary oil, soy isoflavones, and vitamins B1, B2, B6 and biotin and is designed to help reduce tiredness and fatigue and help regulate hormone activity for women going through the menopause

Susie Debice - Food Scientist and Nutritional Therapist
Susie's Women's Health and Menopause Clinic
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... debice.php

3 posts