Perfume allergy

If you have questions about environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am

Perfume allergy

I have a perfume allergy/sensitivity, would this become worse as I near the menopause? Is there any medication that will help? Would acupuncture help?

Thanks

Sam.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Leanne Goh

by Leanne Goh on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Re: Perfume allergy

Thank you for your post,
Hormonal changes like the menopause can make a difference to control of one's allergic disease. It is unclear from your post what type of reactions you are having, but either way it is advisable to avoid known triggers. Medications can be helpful for some symptoms, please do discuss this and your concerns with your GP.
Leanne Goh
Paediatric Allergist - MB BCh BAO, MRCPCH, MSc (Allergy)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ne_goh.php

SamanthaB

by SamanthaB on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pm

The reactions can be different depending on how strong the perfume is. Sometimes just a headache. Other times it’s migraines, neck pain, sickness, foggy head/thinking, not being able to concentrate and sore eyes. The worst which is most recent is trouble breathing. I have had this for 30 years and have managed to control it by avoiding known triggers. I’m now 45 and it seems to have become a bigger problem. Which is why I was wondering if it could get worse with the menopause. Would acupuncture help?

Dr Dinkar Bakshi

by Dr Dinkar Bakshi on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 am

Hi Sam,
It is advisable to get patch testing done for contact dermatitis. Some of the ingredients in fragrances and perfumes that are known to cause allergy are included in the panel. Based on the results, information can be provided regarding commercial products with those particular ingredients that need to be avoided.
Best wishes
Dinkar
Dr Dinkar Bakshi
MBBS MD(Paed) MSc(Allergy) MRCPCH FRCPCH

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bakshi.php

SamanthaB

by SamanthaB on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for your reply.

Will I have to get a referral from my GP for the patch test? Everything just takes so long to get anything done. I’m currently waiting 3 weeks to see my GP for an appointment regarding the issue. In the meantime I’m spending more time in bed ill then going to work. Thanks.

5 posts