Latest solutions for blocking out noise

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
weaver33

by weaver33 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Latest solutions for blocking out noise

I live in the middle apartment of a converted Georgian building and the lady who lives above probably suffers with insomnia because she walks around her bedroom at 3 and 4am most nights :shock:

The problem is her routine is starting to affect my sleep pattern as the creaking floorboards often rouse me from my slumber and I am awake at 4am! I have tried soft ear plugs but they are not recommended for long term use and for some reason make my ears physically sore after a while.

So...my question is about what latest technology exists that can block out unwanted floorboard creaking from above, but without disturbing my partner? I have looked at white noise emitting machines, but I fear that would irritate my wife. :?

What are some of the latest solutions?

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:40 am

Re: Latest solutions for blocking out noise

Unfortunately other than ear plugs or a white noise machine, there isn't really any new technology!

Rather than white noise, you could try pink noise which is slightly softer or maybe use some soothing sounds like rainfall? It may be worth exploring different ear plug options too.

Other than that, if you get on well with your neighbour, could you have a little word? Explain her insomnia is now waking you up?
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts