snoring

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
misscherry

by misscherry on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm

snoring

hi, my partner snores loudly when they're asleep. i wear ear plugs but can still hear them. what else should i try?

Mumstheword

by Mumstheword on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm

Re: snoring

same problem here !!! plus he snores so much and so deeply that his throat gets dry ~ sounds almost as if hes struggling to breathe at times (though hes fine)
has anyone tried that new throat spray ive seen advertised thats supposed to lessen the snoring

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks to you both for your messages.

Most people snore at some point - in fact around 30% of people aged 30 and above are snorers. Snoring is often caused by being unwell (ie cold) or from drinking alcohol. It is one of the most common partner disturbances when it comes to sleep and what starts off as a niggle can soon become very annoying especially when you’re trying to get to sleep. Ear plugs can be helpful or even sleeping in separate bedrooms!

But it’s not just an annoying habit. It can be damaging to your health and a symptom of a sleep disorder - Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. It's a condition where a person can stop breathing in their sleep hundreds of times a night. And it’s estimated that OSA occurs in as much as 20-40% of the adult population that are snorers.

Mumstheword - it does sound from your message that it may be worth your partner seeing a GP to check he doesn't have OSA. Does he complain of feeling tired?

misscherry - You don't say if your partner snores every night. If he does, it may be worth watching to see if you think he stops breathing for a second after the snore. He would snore, hold his breath and then almost gasp.
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

Mumstheword

by Mumstheword on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:03 am

thanks for reply Lisa
I have suggested he possibly sees dr but hes not keen !!
he doesnt feel tired at all, though he does nap alot if sat down during day but works long hours, getting up at 4am (then 12 hour shifts at age 50+) so would expect him to be napping to be honest
he doesnt seem to stop breathing (my ex used to do that during his sleep so im used to that) my husbands is more of a very deep throat snore if that makes sense, just sounds awful even if asleep sat up in chair

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:42 am

Mumstheword wrote:thanks for reply Lisa
I have suggested he possibly sees dr but hes not keen !!
he doesnt feel tired at all, though he does nap alot if sat down during day but works long hours, getting up at 4am (then 12 hour shifts at age 50+) so would expect him to be napping to be honest
he doesnt seem to stop breathing (my ex used to do that during his sleep so im used to that) my husbands is more of a very deep throat snore if that makes sense, just sounds awful even if asleep sat up in chair
Men never seem keen do they?!

There are products on the market that can be used for snoring but I couldn't tell you how effective they are unfortunately. If he smokes, that doesn't help snoring, neither does alcohol or carrying any excess weight.

Hope you get sorted!
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

5 posts