Enlarged prostate and needing to pee often

If you have questions about prostate disease (such as prostatitis) or related conditions (such as incontinence connected to prostate conditions) please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:35 am

Enlarged prostate and needing to pee often

I have an enlarged prostate, I have to pee at least 4 to 5 times a night, when a tap runs it makes me want to go, my stream is very weak and some times when I've been, I need to go again very soon after, I do not have long pees anymore.
I am 85 and was put on water tablets a few years ago, but stopped them, I could not get on with them. I never told the Dr. so it's my fault.
I have read of more modern techniques to treat this, I have had recent PSA and that was ok.
Best advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Peter
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Enlarged prostate and needing to pee often

It sounds like you have an enlarged prostate causing a secondary over active/sensitive bladder
You should try some prostate relaxing tablets such as tamsulosin from the GP. Water tablets might be something else such as anti blood pressure tablets.
Then i agree a referral to a centre offering one of the newer BPH technologies might be indicated - ie REZUM ,urolift or aquablation depending on the prostate size. A TURP operation is often still very effective.
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts