5 a day

Post questions regarding health eating here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jody

by Jody on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:05 am

5 a day

I know it sounds very stupid – but they say five a day vegetables and fruit – so is that five a day of each eg ten in total!

Ali Mortimer

by Ali Mortimer on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: 5 a day

Hi Jody!
Thank you for your question. 5 fruits or vegetables a day is the current guideline. Are you able to share what you currently aim for?
For optimal health, to reduce the amounts of sugars in to the blood stream, I would focus more towards vegetables if you can. Personally, I like to go for 5 veggies and 3 fruits in a day and where possible, aim to eat what is in season. If you feel that is a lot of fruit and veg, have you tried smoothies at all?
Best wishes
Ali
Ali Mortimer
Holistic Health & Happiness Coach (IIN)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rtimer.php

Fran McElwaine

by Fran McElwaine on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 am

Re: 5 a day

Hi Jody,

This is a really great question! I would agree with Ali and definitely recommend at least five servings of veg as a minimum and 2 -3 or fruit a day.

The benefits of eating veg are huge - apart from the essential fibre they provide, which helps us to maintain a healthy gut and also to keep our blood sugar levels even, they are jam-packed with micro-nutrients which each work with each other to boost our immunity, lower inflammation, balance our hormones and generally keep us healthy.

In my book you just cant eat too many vegetables! And for women in particular, cruciferous vegetables like watercress, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, help to support our liver as it fulfills its daily job of de-toxing our systems and also support our kidneys as they cleanse our blood. The net effect is that this really helps balance our hormones with all the benefits that brings.

Fran
Fran McElwaine
AFMC, CHHC - Functional Health & Lifestyle Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lwaine.php

3 posts