Some nights I have to get out of bed four times to urinate

If you have any bladder questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:28 am

Some nights I have to get out of bed four times to urinate

Some nights I have to get out of bed four times to urinate. Other nights I can sleep through without any problem. There seems to be no correlation with what and how much I eat and drink during the day. I was operated on for Bladder Cancer three years ago and all of the regular checks ( three, six, nine months and now annually ) have shown no sign of reoccurrence. I am taking Tamsulosin 400mcg daily for an enlarged prostate. Last PSA test result was 1.7. Advice please.

Thank you, Michael
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Chris Harding

by Mr Chris Harding on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 am

Re: Some nights I have to get out of bed four times to urina

The first step (if you haven't done it already) would be to complete a bladder diary - some patients make more urine at night than during the day - a condition known as nocturnal polyuria - this would be the first thing I would want to rule out.
Mr Chris Harding
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... arding.php

Michael123

by Michael123 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Thanks, I will start a diary for both day and, if I’m with it enough, night.

Prof Christopher Chapple

by Prof Christopher Chapple on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm

I agree, it is important that you should fill out a bladder diary which is to record every time you pass urine over three days, for a full 24 hour each day, and do this on consecutive days, measuring the volumes that you void. Then you need to see a doctor where that can be interpreted. If there is more than a third of your 24-hour urine coming out at night time then this is unlikely to respond to treatment directed at your bladder alone.
Prof Christopher Chapple
The Urology Foundation expert & Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... happle.php

4 posts