laparoscopic colposuspension

Post your questions about female urology here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
millondon

by millondon on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm

laparoscopic colposuspension

Hi there
I had mesh implanted in 2012 and removed in 2018 because of infections, etc.
Since then I became stress incontinent. Last month I visited my Gynecologist and she suggested me laparoscopic colposuspension so solve this proplem.
I still unsure about this proceed because all the problems I had in the past. but in the other handy I can't stop living because of incontinence.
I've search some information and found that hernia can appeared after this keyhole operation.
My question is: This surgery can help me or it will make my life worse than now?
Kind Regards
Maria

Mr Ased Ali

by Mr Ased Ali on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:39 am

Re: laparoscopic colposuspension

This is a difficult topic and not one that can easily be discussed online. Broadly there are three types of operative procedure for stress incontinence:
- Slings,
- Colposuspension
- Urethral bulking.

The slings can be made of either autologous fascia (made out of your own muscle sheath) or mesh (which is currently suspended in the NHS). The colposuspension can be done open or keyhole (laparoscopic / robotic).

Each procedure has its own advantages and disadvantages. Your surgeon will discuss all the options and give you some idea about the suitability of each. Ultimately, it's a decision that only you can make based on the severity of your symptoms and how willing you are to accept the potential drawbacks of each procedure. The last thing anyone want is to make your life worse! So if you are uncertain, or worried about some aspect of the surgery, I would suggest you have a further discussion with your surgeon.
Mr Ased Ali
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ed_ali.php

2 posts