What home based solutions ease anxiety?

Post your questions about anxiety here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am

What home based solutions ease anxiety?

apart from mindfulness and meditation what other home based solutions/practical tips help ease anxiety/continuous thinking to help silence the mind, sleep easier and generally relax a bit more - thanks
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Jayne Ellis

by Jayne Ellis on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: What home based solutions ease anxiety?

Hi,

Apart from the complementary therapies you have mentioned there are other more general things you can try.

Try to be your own anxiety detective and see if you can find connections between certain things and how you are feeling?

Keep an eye on what you are eating: Mood = Food. Some foods will be rapidly absorbed and raise your blood sugar sharply giving you a lift and then you will experience a mood change when the effects wear off. So avoid rapid acting carbohydrates and instead when you are feeling anxious reach for, nuts and seeds, dark chocolate or bananas (fresh or dried). Have a look here for more tips and a little film which is useful https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... d-and-mood

I know it is said a lot but the benefits of exercise cannot be over estimated, you don't have to start running marathons and of course always check with your GP before starting anything new but from a mental health perspective the up side of exercising 20/30 mins a day include the fact that it burns off some of the adrenaline and can help you sleep better and boosts your brains 'happy' chemicals which will lift your mood.

When you are doing something you genuinely enjoy your brain will find it easier to relax and concentrate, things like dancing, learning a new task or playing a musical instrument are all good examples of this. Do not underestimate the power of music to change your mood, try playing different types of music and feel your bodies reaction to them, I promise you the difference between listening to YMCA and classical music is very marked!

Decision is the enemy of anxiety so keeping a notebook handy especially at night and making a decision about how to deal with something that is making you anxious and stopping you sleeping is also really helpful. Stay away from the news and social media when you are feeling anxious as they can feed into the feeling so have times when you are unplugged!

I hope you have found some if this useful and I wish you all the best.
Jayne Ellis
Founder and Director - EF training

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ellis.php

2 posts